Sunday, February 22, 2015

Diamonds in the Rough Quilt : In Progress

The Mixologie collection from Studio M for Moda hit our doorstep last week and I had to play with the blues from this collection ... perfect navy and light blues mixed with gray.


I started a variation of the Delectable Mountain quilt with this bundle.  I think the geometric prints are so fun and could handle something a little more angular ...


You can find a great tutorial for this block here at Quiltville.  My version has slightly different cutting and layout which you can see below.


For my blocks, I started with 9" squares and cut them in half on the diagonal and sewed them to white background to make HST blocks.  I trimmed the HSTs to 8.25" square and then cut three 2.75" wide strips from each block.  Then mixed them up and sewed them all back together.  (Make sure you cut your blocks in different directions - refer to the tutorial linked above.  Half of them need to be a "downhill" and half of them need to be an "uphill" block.)

I'll share more about my layout next week. :-)

Happy Sewing!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)